Thursday, September 19, 2024

Gentle Souls with Fighting Spirits, A Hymn

Notes:

Reverend Paul Powell and Bob Marye were two men who had a great impact on my life and my theology. Both looked at the world with possibility, whether it be as a woodworker turning a beautifully layered piece of wood, a cook tasting the possibilities while surveying a pile of food, or as an ethicist challenging a social system. They wanted the world to be better, for the Church to be better, and for all to feel and to be welcomed to the table.

Paul gave me a book, Saved By His Life, by Theodore R. Clark, that gave me language for how I was beginning to see Jesus in my beginning adult years. I still refer to it from time to time and marvel at how “progressive” Clark was for his time. Every time I re-read it, I think about Paul trusting me, guiding me, and taking me in—a Baptist stuck in a bit of Protestant purgatory—no judgement, just open arms.

Bob gifted me a handmade wooden box when I moved back to Georgia from New Orleans. It holds an assortment of tea bags, so every time I take the time to sit and drink a hot cup, I remember his soft voice, laugh, and wise words.

I chose the hymn tune BEACH SPRING because a favorite hymn of mine, “The Servant Song,” is set to the tune. I can think of no better servants than Paul or Bob. Their footsteps were as steady as the hymn’s meter. They marched, but not intent for war; they were bold, but not overwhelming.

I could think of no better way to honor Paul and Bob than to do something connected to music! Both loved Creativity herself and loved dancing to her divine melodies and purposeful lyrics. The first four stanzas speak to their talents and the ways in which they used their gifts to bring goodness to the world. The “calls to” in each verse are for both the individual and the group, for as remarkably capable as each man was on his own, both strongly encouraged those around them to join any movement connected to God’s love coming down.

The fifth verse, set apart by italicized text, is written in direct gratitude for Paul and Bob and for all those saints who have let the God-image within them shine upon us.

I loved these two gentle-men and equal parts grief and fondness wash over me when I think of them and the wonderful people I love at St. Charles Avenue Baptist Church. You all are always, always with me.

Peace Be,

Reverend Stephanie Coyne


Gentle Souls with Fighting Spirits                                                                                 Stephanie Little Coyne

Sung to Tune: BEACH SPRING

1.      Gentle souls with fighting spirits,

champions for civility,

lift your voice and lift your neighbor, 

fight for God’s humanity.

At the frontlines of our battles,

sharpened swords so often win.

Who will advocate for freedom?

Who will liberate with pen?

 

2.      Artists who compose with purpose,

shape the tree and guide the sound.

Lend your gifts for Holy causes.

Feed the hungry who gather round.

God calls out, “Creators join me!

Who will make and make anew?

Carve and sing and stitch and fashion.

Restoration rests with you.”

 

3.      Prophets who are willing students, 

teach with words both new and old.

Challenge those whose speech discourages.

Words of peace are ever bold.

Who will wake when morning calls out,

“Come, meet Jesus at the well?”

Trust that bread will be provided;

trust the jar to never fail.


4.      Gentle souls with fighting spirits,

champions for civility,

lift your voice and lift your neighbor, 

fight for God’s humanity.

When you cry out in fear and longing,

overcome by brokenness,

God’s good earth will keep you grounded

in this sacred wilderness.

 

5.      We give thanks for those among us

who so simply shared God’s way.

Driven by a hope for freedom,

They all marched non-violently.

Not with thunder or in earthquakes,

but they guided with gentle breeze.

And as Christ, they displayed mercy,

Now with God, they dwell with ease.

 

 

 © Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.



2 comments: